Sunday, January 3, 2010

It's a hot chocolate day!


I've lived in Florida for 8 years now, and every year I'm caught by surprise on mornings like these. It is COLD today! Went below freezing last night, and right now (10:20 am), it's 39 degrees. Now, I know that you Northerners will chuckle at this (cause I used to be one of you) - but believe me when I tell you that when you live where it's usually never colder than 60 degrees - your blood thins and anything below that is Freezing! And, we never have the right clothes for it!
When I took Barney out for his walk this morning, I had on my hat, coat, scarf and gloves (and, of course, my hand-knit socks) -- I felt like the Michelin Man! But, I will admit that the crisp air had a certain charm!
The photo above is of my Opal Petticoat socks that I finally finished last month. You know, I've knitted a lot of socks - lots of different patterns - lots of yummy yarn! But, the ones that wear the best are ones like these -- simple and tough. I'll never forget my Dream In Color Smooshy socks. I worked like a dog on a complicated pattern, and I loved them. I think it was after the 2nd time I wore them I found a huge hole in the bottom of one of them. I cried. And, I threw them both out. I wish I had kept the good one, though. Because I lost another one soon after that and I could have still had a mismatched pair to wear around the house! Lesson learned!

2 comments:

  1. I am a northerner and yesterday in Indiana when I let my dogs out, the temp was 1 degree! That is cold for even here but unfortunately I don't have handknit socks to wear! I do alot of knitting but have never attempted socks. Maybe this winter I will give them a try. Do you have any suggestions on type of yarn or a pattern to start out with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned with a pattern from "Knitting Rules" by Stephanie Pearl-McFee. It's her basic sock pattern, and it's very easy to learn. She uses double-points, but I prefer the "magic loop" technique. There is a ton of sock yarn out there. This was a self-striping one. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete